Attorney 2 (MDJS)
August 24, 2023
7 hour shift Monday to Friday
$70,000 - $80,000
The IT section of AOPC/Legal is seeking an Attorney who will oversee the legal aspects of the Magisterial District Judge System (MDJS), an automated case management system used throughout the state for processing all cases filed in the Magisterial district courts. AOPC/Legal provides advice and counsel to the PA Supreme Court, the state court administrators, and judges on legal matters. The Attorney will assist IT staff to ensure the MDJS complies with all applicable laws and legal procedural requirements. The attorney's work is performed independently under the direction of the Supervising Legal Attorney.
- Attorney supports the IT team in addressing legal matters received from MDJS users via email, phone, or letters.
- Monitors and analyzes legislation that could impact the Unified Judicial System and the MDJS. This may involve attending meetings to discuss legislation, testifying before a Committee of the General Assembly, and drafting amendatory language.
- Reviews all proposals for rule amendments from any Committee to determine the impact on automated systems.
- Serves as a non-voting representative of the AOPC to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania's Minor Court Rules Committee.
- Reviews requests for MDJS reports.
- Assists Supervising Legal Attorney by attending workgroups and Committees.
- Performs work related to trademarks necessary to safeguard specific systems and products developed by the IT Department.
- Ensures that the statewide Traffic and Non-Traffic citations are consistent with all relevant legal authorities.
- Graduation from an ABA-approved law school.
- Attorney admitted to and in good standing before the Bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
- Two years of professional legal experience.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- A satisfactory criminal background check.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Applicants with experience practicing before Magisterial District Courts preferred.
- 7-hour shift Monday to Friday
- 35-hour work week
- Excellent benefits program including comprehensive, low-cost medical, dental, vision, and prescription plans for employees and eligible family members beginning on the first day of employment; 13 paid holidays, 12 paid sick days, and 12+ paid vacation days per year; salary increases; student loan forgiveness plan; employee assistance programs; and State retirement plans.
- Telework is available.
Unified Judicial System Hiring Policy
The Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania recruits, employs, and promotes the most qualified applicants without regard to their political affiliation, race, color, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, or other non-merit facts or considerations. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants with disabilities as may be necessary to ensure that all applicants are given a fair and equal opportunity to compete for all employment positions. Applicants who need accommodation for an interview should request so in advance. UJS hiring and employment policies and procedures are intended to conform to all applicable state and federal laws governing fair and non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices and are subject to change as necessary to remain in compliance with such laws.
Applicants requiring accommodation, for any part of the application and/or interview process, should contact Human Resources at (717) 231-3309 or firstname.lastname@example.org.