How to File an ADA Grievance

If you asked for a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are unhappy with what the Court agreed to do, or if it offered no accommodation, you or someone acting on your behalf may file a grievance and ask for another person, the Grievance Officer, to review your request.

The purpose of this ADA grievance procedure is to resolve as promptly as possible any problems, complaints, or conflicts related to the Unified Judicial System's ADA compliance.

To file a grievance, fill out the Grievance Form. If you require help to complete this form, or need this form in a different format, please contact the Grievance Officer for the appropriate appellate court. Send or mail the form to the appropriate Grievance Officer.

Your grievance should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than 60 calendar days after your request was denied. Failure to report an alleged violation within 60 days may affect your ability to have your grievance addressed.

Within 15 calendar days of the grievance being received by the Grievance Officer, he or she will look into the circumstances regarding your request and the ADA Coordinator's action. This may include contacting you and any witnesses to discuss what you asked for and/or request supporting documentation. Within 15 calendar days of the completion of this this investigation, the Grievance Officer will write and tell you what the court has concluded and offer ways to solve the problem.

The determination of the grievance coordinator is not appealable, because the process is purely administrative and there is no evidentiary hearing. However, if you are not satisfied, you may have other remedies under state or federal law. Federal law does not require people who want to file an ADA complaint against the courts to file a grievance with the courts first.