District Court - Deputy Court Administrator (20-22)
November 18, 2020
5th Judicial District, Allegheny County
$65,492 - $95,000
This professional management position is responsible for the effective administration of Pittsburgh Municipal Court (PMC), including Arraignment Court (24/7), and the 46 Magisterial District Judge (MDJ) Courts in Allegheny County. Other responsibilities include allocating and managing resources, staff, funding, training, locations and equipment for the minor judiciary. Work is performed with a high degree of independence while exercising sound judgment and discretion under the general direction of the District Court Administrator.
- Directly supervises administrative MDJ support staff; provides advice and supervisory oversight to the MDJ courts when performance issues arise.
- Assist MDJs in hiring, discipline and other employee related decisions.
- Oversee scheduling requirements for MDJs during business days and 24/7 operations.
- Coordinates preliminary arraignment and preliminary hearing processes with law enforcement agencies, Allegheny County Jail, Identification, and Pre-Trial Services.
- Direct oversight of financial concerns: Bail monies, fees, fines, and collateral, review of all monthly reports and distribution; review and send Federal Tax Form 8300 notifications; oversee electronic payments and collection agency performance.
- Respond to all policy, statute or rule changes with appropriate notice, guidance and modifications to practices, and communicates same to affected entities or the public.
- Serve as Court liaison to various county and court committees that affect MDJ courts.
- Oversee payroll activity and other personnel matters subject to court human resource policies.
- Analyze statistical data for caseloads, deposits and disbursements to identify areas for improvement in case processing, and staff productivity and assignments.
- Prepare and submit yearly budget; recommends relocations, purchases and capital improvements.
- Routinely review lease provisions for MDJ courts, guarantee district court facilities are suitable and at a reasonable cost, and coordinate relocations with MDJ and County solicitor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Judicial, Business, or Public Administration, or closely related field; AND
- Five years of experience in court management or eight years of varied office management work including experience in budgeting, procurement, and personnel management.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and / or training may be considered.
- Satisfactory criminal background check required.
- Contact availability for issues at Arraignment Court during off hours/days and holidays required.
Unified Judicial System Hiring Policy
The Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania recruits, employs, and promotes the most qualified applicants without regard to their political affiliation, race, color, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, or other non-merit facts or considerations. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants with disabilities as may be necessary to ensure that all applicants are given a fair and equal opportunity to compete for all employment positions. Applicants who need accommodation for an interview should request so in advance. UJS hiring and employment policies and procedures are intended to conform to all applicable state and federal laws governing fair and non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices and are subject to change as necessary to remain in compliance with such laws.
Applicants requiring accommodation, for any part of the application and/or interview process, should contact Human Resources at (717) 231-3309.